Sunday, January 22, 2012

Wine Snitch: Ravenswood Petite Sirah

Ravenswood Petite Syrah

When thinking of what you will drink during the football game most people chose beer. I still think that beer smells like feet. Believe me, I wish I liked beer, it would make tailgates, baseball games and Irish pubs a lot easier to navigate. I like Belgian beer, but just a little of it. So when faced with what to chose to drink during the Patriots/Ravens game that will decide who goes to the superbowl, I chose Ravenswood Petite Sirah - simply so I could look at the bottle and drink it and yell "I own you" every time I see the Raven on the label. 

Now for the review!

The result of a cross between the noble Syrah and a relatively minor Rhône variety, Peloursin, Petite Sirah is by far one of my most favorite single varietals to drink. The Petite in Petite Sirah is in regard to the size of the grape, not the size of the juice, Petite Sirah is generally, meaty with big blackberry and blueberry flavors and generally makes a wine with a high alcohol content. 

The label for this wine states that it is big and delicious and unapologetic filled with black fruit and chocolate flavors. Me thinks its okay, its great for a wine that cost less than $9 but it definitely does not live up to what Petite Sirah can be. Like Chris said - its a good Wednesday night wine. So, for the relatively low price, its a good wine for the money.


The Particulars
Winery: Ravenswood
Varietal:Petite Sirah
AVA: Napa Valley, Petite Sirah
Vintage: 2009
Alcohol: 13.5
Price:  between $8-12
Rating = BUY IT

No comments:

Post a Comment