Sunday, February 19, 2012

Vegan Skillet Shepherds Pie

Vegan Shepard's Pie

This past Christmas was the 10th Christmas that Chris and I spent together. For our first Christmas together he got me the Tiffany Heart Bracelet, this Christmas he got me a caste iron skillet. I'm not sure what it says about our relationship, but I was as psyched about that skillet this year as I was about that bracelet our first Christmas. I can see it now, our 40th Christmas together we give each other adult diapers and bag balm and are ecstatic. 

I know what your thinking about this meal, vegan shepherds pie, its an oxymoron, a phase that seems to fight with itself, a shepherds pie should contain meat, and mashed potatoes laden with butter and cream. You're probably thinking this tasted about as good as a swift kick in the balls feels, but you would be wrong, it was awesome and filling and tasted smokey and meaty and the best part is, it's kinda light, as in not fattening. 

I got the recipe from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen - here is a link to the recipe. HERE
I have two changes to the recipe, I added liquid smoke to the skillet as the vegetables were cooking, and if I were to make this again I would omit the spinach, you just don't need it, and I would add corn. This is a vegan recipe that I would not hesitate to make for friends, I just wouldn't tell them its vegan until after they ate it and commented on how good it is. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment